theHybrid-Angler
REGISTER if you want to post stuff....we are based out of ct/ LI sound and we fish for anything that swims....We have an underground fishing club in here...THE HOLY MACKERELS...you have to measure up to get an invite to that...but this forum is 100% free and with no obligation...we do encourage involvement in this site...we have bunches of trips/gatherings every year...so......what are you waiting for?jump in...we are all friends here...with one mission...FISHING...any problems registering? email me at blueolive26@sbcglobal.net

LIS Summer 2011 Reports

Go down

LIS Summer 2011 Reports

Post by RedneckAngler on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Went out for some light tackle angling today, hoping to find some early stripers or most likely blues. Fished from Plum across to Watch Hill, but pretty much all the big schools of blues were up at the west end of the race. Lot's of fish, and believe it or not, picky. Yes, picky bluefish. The party boats that were drifting and fishing deep were getting consistent hits on big blues, but the fish coming up to the top for the light tackle crowd weren't jumping in the boats. Typically when you see the big schools on the surface the only worry is whether multiple blues will cut you off. Today they were far less willing to bite a variety of artificials. Anyway, the place was loaded and we did catch fish, just not the arm busting day one would expect. Might have had to do with the fact that as soon as a school came up, 30 boats were closing from all directions. Reminded me why I avoid weekends like the plague.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Albert Einstein. Is Al a fishing guru trying to tell us something, or are we all just insane?
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male
Number of posts : 458
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Re: LIS Summer 2011 Reports

Post by RedneckAngler on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:04 pm

Fished Niantic today. Low tide was 3:39am at the Niantic Bridge, and I was on the water at 4:00am. After a few trolling runs I hooked a small blue and though crap, there go my soft baits and sandworms. Then a 24" striper, followed by a nice 38" fish, went for my tube and worm. By now the sun was coming up, and after another schoolie and some blank runs, I moved over to Black Point where I caught a larger blue and a few more short stripers. Crossed over to Millstone and picked off a pair of blues with a deadly dick before moving up towards Harkness. Goshen Beach and Harkness were holding clouds of sand eels at the mouth of Goshen Cove. I like to sight fish w/ light tackle, but the wind was picking up. I did a lot of casting around the bait schools and with both spinning and fly outfits, but finally went back to trolling, catching a fluke and another short striper before heading for home. Not a bad day.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Albert Einstein. Is Al a fishing guru trying to tell us something, or are we all just insane?
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:06 pm

brilliant vids man!....nice fat striper on that last post...holy crap!

meatloaf
Sasquatch fighting badass
Sasquatch fighting badass

Male
Number of posts : 1110
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler on Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:30 pm

STRIPERS, STRIPERS AND MORE (SMALL) STRIPERS!
Black Point, Bartlett's and Goshen/Harkness 7/26

Out of Niantic early (by 4:30) heading towards Harkness. Lots of bait but no luck casting a variety of soft plastics near the entrance to Goshen Cove. Switched to tube and worm and quickly caught a 30" and several short stripers. The trend was looking like schoolies, so I headed back to Bartlett's and Two Tree, which had been producing bigger fish last week. Nada. Not even a blue to bite off my soft plastics! Over to the outflow where I hooked a decent striper that sent me ducking and diving to avoid the hook it spit. 15 minutes of blanks casting and I decided to move again. This time, across the bay to Black Point. By this time it was approaching mid-morning, the day was beautiful, and I anticipated scup and blues would soon be shredding my Fin-S baits. Hadn't seen any fish on top all morning, so I threw out a tube and worm as I approached Black Point and wham, fish on! Schoolie. Re-baited and set my line. Another fish. Followed by another and so on. Cool. Lot's of schoolies. I can switch to casting. No luck. Tube and worm was the ticket, but there comes a point when even a light setup becomes pretty boring with schoolie after schoolie. After a dozen of these, I decided to head back in. While catching a lot of schoolies is not unusual, the total lack of scup an blues was a rarity. Overall, a nice trip. I'm taking a friend out on his new boat Saturday. Only hope I can find him some fish!

RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler on Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:30 pm

OK. Here's the shoreline report for 8/3/2011. On the water for the "magic hour" before sunrise with a few quick hookups right out the gate in Niantic. Lot's of schoolies feeding on small bait. Hung out at the top of Niantic Bay until the tide began to slack, and then headed over to Goshen Beach/Harkness. Tide was just beginning to turn and I quickly hooked a small schoolie followed by a 32" striper on tube and worm. That seems to be the ticket as far as artificials go right now. Overall, I had a half dozen stripers in Niantic and Goshen, but only the one keeper. By 7:30, the stripers had disappeared and some blues were starting to show off of Little Goshen Reef. As the tide and rip was building, I stayed in. Outer Bartlett's was filled with birds and bait as the tide got going, but again, I was left on the sidelines in my little boat. Ran back to the outflow and hooked a few blues, and tried Black Point before heading in. Day was pretty much over for me by 10:00am. Not a bad morning!

RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down