theHybrid-Angler
REGISTER if you want to post stuff....we are based out of ct/ LI sound and we fish for anything that swims....We have an underground fishing club in here...THE HOLY MACKERELS...you have to measure up to get an invite to that...but this forum is 100% free and with no obligation...we do encourage involvement in this site...we have bunches of trips/gatherings every year...so......what are you waiting for?jump in...we are all friends here...with one mission...FISHING...any problems registering? email me at blueolive26@sbcglobal.net

boats

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: boats

Post by bassman on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:06 am

why is that flymaster? To much pressure for you?
bassman
bassman
foulmouth bass
foulmouth bass

Male
Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:54 pm

yes, but my boat is now outfitted to fly fish pike!...except...i can only drive....cant fly -fish pike while driving..more of my friends need to get their boasting license

meatloaf
meatloaf
Sasquatch fighting badass

Male
Number of posts : 1110
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:38 pm

trolling motor happiness will reach maximum capacity next year....pike will be upset at my quiet motor!...getting a battery box....nice way to keep it kleen and good upgrade if i want to run feesh finder

meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Winter Boat Project

Post by RedneckAngler on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:37 pm

Already posted a pic of my RNA motor mount from scraps in another section, but here it is again, and I am planning to build my 17 ft. aluminum canoe into the ultimate go anywhere fishing platform. I've been looking at 14-16ft. boats for the river/lakes, but then came across some outrigger designs for canoes. This will give me plenty of stand-up stability or general stability in the river, + the ease of portability to go places I couldn't get to with a trailered boat. Cabellas sell stabilizers for about 200+ but the idea I want to use is for a 6'-6"x4" foam core PVC "torpedo" with a rounded front cap and a screw on rear so that it can actually hold a 6 ft. 1 piece rod. The foam core is a lot lighter than the solid wall PVC and will have lots of bouyancy. I've found a few websites that have similar plans and am thinking about the easiest mounting system. If anyone has ideas before I embark LMK. I will certainly post pics as the project progresses (probably over my Feb. week off) as well as my final plans if anyone else has a canoe and wants to undertake a similar project.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Albert Einstein. Is Al a fishing guru trying to tell us something, or are we all just insane?
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male
Number of posts : 458
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:45 pm

search craigslist...you might find a rowboat for cheap or even free...mine is only 11.5 ft........your canoe is a big one!does it go on top of a car or in a bed of a truck?
i got those cheap stadium style seats for my canoe...i got to tell you , they arent like a full, real seat....but they beat the hell out of just a bench below your ass...leaning back every once in a while is good for your back muscles...staying in one spot all day is not fun....if you dont have any yet you can borrow mine to get an idea what they are like before you buy.....
your project looks like fun...and i am interested in what you do with it....

meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:20 pm

i seen some cheap in craigslist...200 bucks with a motor!
i agree with you...i wont get a monster till i got some serious money and the economy doesnt suck....lil rowboat does the job well...got your license yet?

meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

My new boat

Post by RedneckAngler on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:40 pm

Very Happy Just bought it!!!! cheers Now I can start buying crap for it. 14 ft. with a Merc 18hp tiller outboard. I also have my trolling motor to put on it. Plan to throw on a few swivel chairs , fishfinder, cooler/livewell and I'll be good to go.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Albert Einstein. Is Al a fishing guru trying to tell us something, or are we all just insane?
RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 06062 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:06 pm

Wow...... you don't waste any time!

Nice boat!

perch
perch

Male
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-04-15

http://www.the1stshot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:13 am

that's a nice one!..how much was that?...i got chairs for mine, too...pedastal mounts going on top of clamp on swivel mounts are no good, i know from experience......mine are swivel clamp ons.....with a full back chair attched on two of them...and i got a cheapee plastic seat for the extra seat....you boat, motor, and trailer look totally solid....i hope you get a boat cover for it, to protect your investment...i used tarps before, and those suck...i got a cover from cabelas(their brand)and it works nice..i built supports out of wood to make the center taller so the rain would roll right off the cover...i use a bulbed fuel line, with a water seperator filter....a must for two strokes...i heard even people with 4 strokes swear by them....
a good resource of info on everything boat related is iboats.com....it's a huggggggggggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeee boat forum....that is how i learned to make my fuel line.....if you need any advice on stuff i already did lmk...i painted mine and did a non skid floor...non skid floors are great if you cover your boat...i left mine open for a week, and it rained real bad...made the non skid finish bubble up...and i put in a upright pvc rod holder...all kinds of things i didnt need.....a good place to get marine stuff besides cabelas is west marine........did u get your boater license yet?\
i have boat envy....that's a nice one...looks like we will be in business this year!i am going piking in a couple months, maybe a bunch of us can go....i dont have a spot open cause heckler is coming, but if you have an extra spot, 06062 might be down.....mine only holds two big dudes...that is the only part of it i dont like..otherwise i love it...i will never sell it, just keep passing it down, if i can.......that boat of yours is ok for gulf beach.... all you need is a cheap motor flusher to get the salt out...i got one, haven't tried it yet, i have a lot to learn about my motor...i plan on learning how to clean out the carb, and do oil changes

meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:14 am

send me a complete model number/year/size...i might be able to find you manual for free

meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:44 am

I've been looking for a while, and once I realized that i couldn't tow the Triumph Skiff I wanted, I decided to pull the trigger on a used boat before my wife started thinking about all the reasons I should really not get a boat. I paid $1600 + tax and all the reg stuff. I bought it from Suburban Marine after looking at a lot of used boats on Craigslist and also at dealers. So many of the ones on craiglist had soft spots, rotten transoms, or engines that I would have wanted inspected before I bought them. This was a trade-in, so they have serviced the engine and will warranty it for 30 days after I pick it up. They will run it for me and give it a tune-up when I pick it up in a few weeks. I do need to learn a lot more about engine maintenance, and i plan to run it down around the mouth of the Ct. R and Niantic Bay, so I will have to flush the engine after NaCl use. I still have to take the boat safety course. They offer it up a Cabellas in one day. I plan on keeping it in the garage. I'll send the engine info. I have it on the paperwork at home. I've got the safety stuff, an anchor, trolling motor, and #1 priority will be the seats and fishfinder. I will be ready to go piking this spring!

RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:30 am

hell yes...that's not a bad price the motor alone is probably 900 or a grand...
add in the boat and trailer, you got a good deal....i find it wierd you could register without safety course....colleges also have the course...and if you are willing to drive a bit, you can find the course as cheap as 10 from a local place like a firehouse or a boat club...the list should be on dep's site.seats are a good idea...especially for adults....backs arent as good as when we were kids, right?

meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Heckler on Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:26 pm

sweet boat RNA!!! congrats... I can't wait for the season

Look, it's not in my nature to be mysterious. But I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why. "rusty"

Heckler
Heckler
nile perch
nile perch

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:14 pm

The upcoming warm weather makes me wish I had picked up my boat already. I've mentally outfitted her for some fresh and brackish water this spring. Hopefully we will see things start to warm up in the next couple of weeks. According to the DEP site, I can operate for three months on a temporary certificate. I can get into a course locally next month or so. I'll be ready for pike!

RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:15 pm

i didnt even noticed the extras on there like nice paint job and quality rope cleats...you got a good deal...so what kind of troller you got for that beast?

also west marine may have things that cabelas will not, as far as gasline stuff, and other shit like anchors....................

meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:20 pm

I've got a 34lb. MotorGuide transom mount that was for my canoe, so I'm a bit underpowered, but oh-well. I went on West Marine's website. I know there is probably a ton of small stuff I will forget about until I get it on the water (I once almost launched in a hurry without a transom plug in!), and I don't actually know a damn thing about small outboards. I have a friend I fish with who is an electrician, so I will be talking with him this weekend about wiring for a fishfinder, lights, aerator pump and possibly future additions like a radio. Can't wait to get out and fish.

RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:22 pm

sweet.....outboards i have no clue about...i guess we will learn together....i know like any other thing, cleaning the carb every once in a while is always good...

meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler on Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:24 pm

Now have the title and everything! Got a fishfinder, downrigger, rod holders,some seats, and will just use my TidyCat baitbucket for the time being. Had a few other odds and ends that were with the boat; bilge pump, cleats, a fluke anchor (I have a mushroom), and some safety gear. I just want to fish!

RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:39 pm

beautiful...let me know how your finder works and what model it is(if you start fishing with it early)...i am in the market for one...besides....it will be a good "new post"......finders&ducers

meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:16 pm

I bought the Hummingbird PiranhaMax 180 for $139 @ Cabellas. The PMax is the budget line, going down to around $79 for the single beam version. I would love to have one with the GPS built in, but then you jump up to around $300. I had considered the HB Matrix 12 Cabellas
because I could link it to GPS, but it only has a single beam tranducer. I haven't opened mine yet, and am still sitting on the fence. For the under $150, the PMax 180 was the only sonar with a tri-beam and 90 degrees of coverage. I really don't know if that makes it $40-$50 better than the cheapest ones. On the other end, several cost more than my boat.

RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:08 pm

i am hopefully getting the midline pmax for my bday...they look pretty freakin good to me...a lot better than those garmins....

meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

The [i]Gemma Rose [/i]is ready to go!

Post by RedneckAngler on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:07 am

Have to stencil Gemma's name on the side, but she should get a kick out of it. If I left it to her, I would probably be fishing the in Hannah Montana. Not cool. Put everything in to see how it sets up. I've got the 18 hp Mercury and trolling motor in the rear, as well as my bait bucket. Need to find a cooler to fit back there for a livewell. Threw in a few seats, the fish finder, some rod holders and the downrigger. Fore and aft anchors.

Storage is at a premium, and all of the space under the bench seats is foam floatation. I've been thinking about putting in a platform between the middle and front bench seats. I would place a hinged section in front of the forward seat to creat a cockpit while underway, but when fishing would have a larger flatter casting surface with a stand on hatch and 30"x27"x10" of tackle storage. I'll fish with it this spring and mull over the possibilities.

RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Heckler on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:38 pm

Well done RNA well done. cheers

Look, it's not in my nature to be mysterious. But I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why. "rusty"

Heckler
Heckler
nile perch
nile perch

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckAngler on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:40 pm

The above post was before, this is after the addition of my casting deck. Just adding an access hatch soon.

RedneckAngler
RedneckAngler
taimen
taimen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:18 pm

that setup looks like a pro job for sure...i will definitely be getting input from you before i do mine...i want to make mine portable, so i can just pop it out for transport

meatloaf
meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down