theHybrid-Angler
REGISTER if you want to post stuff....we are based out of ct/ LI sound and we fish for anything that swims....We have an underground fishing club in here...THE HOLY MACKERELS...you have to measure up to get an invite to that...but this forum is 100% free and with no obligation...we do encourage involvement in this site...we have bunches of trips/gatherings every year...so......what are you waiting for?jump in...we are all friends here...with one mission...FISHING...any problems registering? email me at blueolive26@sbcglobal.net
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» LIS Summer 2011 Reports
Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:30 pm by RedneckAngler

» The Original Offshore Charter
Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:47 pm by RedneckAngler

» Diawa demo w/ CT Outfitters and the Blackhawk
Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:49 pm by RedneckAngler

» spring salty reports 2011
Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:59 pm by meatloaf

» old school penns-spinning reels for surfcasting
Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:13 pm by meatloaf

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

pickerel lore

Go down

pickerel lore

Post by meatloaf on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:59 pm

so my pops and i used to fish black pond when i was younger.....the rt side....we used to catch decent bass, pickerel, and cats...we pretty much caught fish every time......it used to have a ton of pickerel in the shallows, some decent size, up to 19"....we used shiners on bobbers in about 3 ft of water, near weeds.....it was a perfect ambush spot for gamefish...one day we were a little outside of our usual spot, in deeper water near brush that orioles like to play in......now my father loves to throw stuff in the opposite direction to where we cast sometimes to amuse himself.....i bet he figures that sometimes the fish are where we dont think they really are...he had a huge shiner about 4 ft below an enormous bobber 20 ft opposite to where i was casting, kinda in open water...it was marinating there i would say for an hour....and i 'll bet that shiner was deader than jimmy hoffa.....and we were talking, we looked over and the bobber was gone.....he picked up the rod, and set the hook......his baitcaster bent in half...at 1st i thought it was bottom or a huge snapper...i reeled in my shit so it wouldnt be in the way...my dad stands up and sez holy shit...it was a monster pickerel.....and it took his line for a ride around the boat many times, stripping line out like it was
shark below us....well i got the net ready and handed it to my pops and the fish spit out the hook and bit the anchor rope at the same time.....he pulled and out and holy shit!....it was a large female the size of a pike...it was 26.5 inches and probably over 7lbs...we brought it home along with a 17 incher pickerel....we put them both in the sink...as a joke we put the 17 in the mammoth one's mouth...it would have easily eaten mine with no problem...i kept the head and tried to boil it to save it, but alas it destroyed it...i kid you not, if that fish had jaws fully open, it could fit both of my fists and more.....i looked at record books years later...it could have come close to beating the state record, but we will never know cause it was never weighed....but the picture was displayed at the black pond boathouse for years...the guy who ran the boathouse died many years ago form cancer..too bad, he was a good fellow...he used to shoot at the snapping turtles with his 30/6 right from the boathouse.....he was a character...i hope his family still runs it..... pig

meatloaf
Sasquatch fighting badass

Male
Number of posts : 1110
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

Re: pickerel lore

Post by meatloaf on Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:04 pm

got another comment...when u cant get bait at a store, and you are going for pickerel or bass, try looking for salamanders ...gamefish destroy the hell out of them...wife got one like 20 " at a place we were camping at...all cause big toe malone found some underneath his canoe..place was weedier than all hell...but had nice pickerel..if i remember correctly his wife got a huge one with a boyaah spinnerbait that same day.....place had mad salamanders by its shore, i noticed...hard to catch in the water, though....

meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Heckler on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:18 pm

there is always bait to be found. always....

Look, it's not in my nature to be mysterious. But I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why. "rusty"

Heckler
nile perch
nile perch

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:54 pm

twice i have caught nice bass on crayfish i found......and i found two huge blue craws in the belly of a 2 lb bass caught from middle bolton lake, long ago

meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bassman on Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:23 am

Bass love crayfish along with frogs and mice.
bassman
foulmouth bass
foulmouth bass

Male
Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:37 pm

they have flies that are modeled after mice and even muskrats...i imagine they only use those way the hell up north...my favorite lure to see in a catalog is the baby duck lure for muskie/pike

meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meatloaf on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:26 am

ok...back to the subject of pickerel..here is a pic that i found in the gallery nobody really looks at....it's markGR with a decently sized pickerel..

meatloaf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down